While my sister is in Vail, Co skiing it up, I am sitting here in lovely Starkville, MS thinking about snow. It was supposed to snow here last night. It didn't. Again, it didn't. We have not had snow on the ground here since 2000. Noelle has never seen snow in Mississippi. It has not snowed here since she was born. She did see snow in Winter Park, Co in 2005 when we all went skiing so she hasn't been totally deprived.
I remember when it snowed when I was a little girl in Indianola. How exciting it was to wake up on a school day and look out the window and see white on the ground. Then you would immediately turn on the TV or radio to hear all the school closings. No school today for Indianola Academy....Yea!! Lets go play!! We would go outside and build a sad little snowman (there was never enough snow to build a really big one). We would make snow balls and throw them at each other (not really enough snow for a good snow ball fight). We would lie down on the ground and make snow angels. We would scrape off some of the snow on the air conditioning unit right outside the door and Mom would make snow cream. Yum! One time when it snowed, we went out to the country (my dad's farm) and made a sled out of something (probably some old farm equipment--I can't remember) and got the three-wheeler out and pulled the sled behind the three-wheeler. Now that was good-ole country girl snow fun! We also took some cardboard and slid down the levee of the catfish ponds. (I lived in the delta---that was the closest thing to a hill we could find). We had so much fun. Snow in Mississippi is a treat!
Can you believe that it has snowed more in Austin, TX since Cindy and Cass have been there than here in semi-north Mississippi? Carlyn is in 5th grade and has never had a snow day. I just feel like my girls are missing out on a great life experience. Their childhood is already so different from mine--that is a different blog topic for another time, but come on Mr. or Mrs. Weatherman---
Let it Snow!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I saw on the news that it snowed three inches in Waynesboro this afternoon. I'm going to be busy for a while now. I have a long list of things to do when hell freezes over, and now it has happened.
I thought hell was Oxford, It didn't snow there so I think you are ok.
Post a Comment