Monday, December 31, 2007

Give me Liberty, or....

So much has happened in one week. Two days after Christmas I sat down to catch up on all the blogs and see how everyone's Christmases were and I read the news on Marcus' blog. It was so strange because the telephone had just rung while I was reading. I was trying to talk to the person on the phone but my mind would just not work. I just said, "wait, wait" over and over. I know Nick thought I was losing my mind. For a moment there, I did. I immediately called Marcus and spoke with him. Almost one week later and I am still in disbelief.

We were supposed to leave the next day to go to Indianola to have Christmas there. Cass and Cindy got in late on the 26th. We were having Christmas on the 28th to let them have a day of rest. Plans change. Cindy, Cass, Dean and I all wanted to be there for Mar and Lo so we had Christmas late on the 27th and then drove to Starkville on the 28th for visitation. The crowd in the little Episcopal church in Starkville was unbelievable. So many people. The Rhodes family has touched so many people. There were friends of Jan and Melvin, Lo and Mar, Lady and Matt, and Allyson and Dylan. All ages, all kinds.

Cindy got us all tickets to the Liberty Bowl so we set out for Memphis Saturday morning. We met Dad at the hotel in Southaven and immediately headed for the Liberty Bowl. That area in Memphis is quite scary. Thank goodness for Dad's GPS. We got around the traffic with ease and settled into a $20 parking lot. The game was typical MSU but satisfying in the end. We really did have a good time at the game. It was COLD but fun. I think I have developed "cowbell wrist" from ringing my cowbell so much. After the game was over we drove Dad back to his truck at the hotel and Cindy and Cass had plans of going to meet some friends downtown but instead they ended up not hearing from the friends and came back to the hotel with us. Pretty uneventful after party, but we are old, I guess.

We did get to show Cass and Cindy the areas that we are looking for houses and the schools, and so forth. The best part was riding in the car with Cass and Cindy. We all got to visit and vent on certain topics and catch up. I wish we could be together more often. I love being around them.

I feel like I have been on an emotional roller coaster the last few days. I guess that is how life is. I would like for life to take the flat delta roads for a little while now.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

It was so sweet for y'all to change your plans in order to spend a few minutes with us. It sucks that it takes such momentous events to get us together. We are now going to be in town for several days, probably until the weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to get together again.

I'm so glad that MSU won the game. Melvin would have been so pleased.