I got to thinking today. My very best friends are the ones I grew up with and graduated high school with. I have always heard that you make your lifelong friends in college. I have not found that to be true. Sure, I made some friends in college, but I really don't keep up with them that much. The only friend from nursing school that I keep up with is Lorraine. I know where she is and how to get in touch with her. I would have to ask her where to find our other classmates.
The friends I consider to be lifelong friends are the people I went to kindergarten with. I talk with them often and even have their phone numbers programmed in my cell phone. We had our 20th class reunion this fall and was it ever fun! I love being with those people. Maybe it is because they know me so well. I don't know.
I have also noticed that my sister still keeps up with the people she went to high school with. I think they have a very strong bond because they were the brightest kids in MS. MSMS students have a special bond. I think it is because they are all so intelligent and can communicate with each other on a higher level. They continue to amaze me with their intelligence.
It is amazing how much your high school experience sets the tone for the rest of your life. I work in the public school system here in Starkville and sometimes I wonder how some of these kids are ever going to make it. I will talk about that in another post though. I could tell lots of stories there.
I consider myself lucky to have had such awesome people to grow up with and share our lives. I know a lot of y'all feel the same way. Thanks for letting me share with all of you too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok, since you referred to me by name, I guess it is fitting that I get to comment first on this one. First of all, yes, you and I lived together in college, but we did have the other connection that your sister and I went to high school together. Second, I hope you don't actually ever call to ask where anyone else from nursing school is, because, on a REALLY good day, I could give you three addresses other than mine and yours.
So, I think I'm going to have to agree with you here: I made my lifelong friends BEFORE college. As you mentioned, those of us from MSMS seem to have particularly tight bonds - what else could explain the fact that Mar & I will celebrate our (sit down quickly) FIFTEENTH anniversary just over a week from now.
Interestingly, I don't keep up with anyone that I went to school with before MSMS. My husband doesn't either.
As I watch my teen and pre-teen daughters, I wonder which, if any, of their present friends will stick with them for decades. I also wonder every time I see a group of kids at their school if the other parent to my future grandchildren is one of the creatures milling about...
I guess only time will tell. Lo
My MSMS friends are the most special to me - I'm not sure why. We lived together and lived through something that nobody else has, so I'm sure that bonds us in a pretty special way.
I've only got 2 friends from college that I keep in close contact with. They happen to be brother and sister. :)
I wonder about my kids as well. We live in the land of the revolving door. People move in and out of this place every month. There are very few kids that started K with Cameron that are still around in 4th grade. They live a different life than I did, for sure. But I am glad that at least their lives are more diverse than mine was (until I went to MSMS).
Post a Comment